PROJECT TITLE: Development of the climate adaptation strategy and basin-wide priority measures for the Sava River Basin
ORGANIZATION CONCERNED: Main beneficiaries of the project are the International Sava River Basin Commission and the four riparian countries plus Montenegro.
PROJECT DESCRIPTION: ACTIVITIES AND INVESTMENTS :
The French Ministry of Ecological and Solidarity Transition, IOWater, UNECE & the International Scheldt Commission are supporting the International Sava River Basin Commission and its thematic expert groups through a specific technical assistance to foster the coordination process between the riparian countries adaptation strategies and agendas and with the Danube Basin strategies.
Main activities involved in this process will include:
- Assessing available information and identifying gaps.
- Consulting with countries and international experts on selection of vulnerability assessment targets and methodologies.
- Carrying out critical vulnerability assessments to gather information about climate change exposure and impacts on relevant sectors as well as assessing adaptive capacity.
- Organizing workshops to discuss and design potential basin-wide adaptation and capacity-building measures.
- Consulting stakeholders to evaluate cost-benefits and prioritize proposed adaptation measures.
- Making recommendations on integration of priority measures into existing strategies and plans.
- Validating the investment plan associated to the strategy
- Selecting priority measures and initiating a feasibility study for their implementation.
see the note below
On October 23-24 2017, the workshop on the Outline of the Climate Adaptation Strategy and basin-wide priority measures for the Sava River Basin which was held in Belgrade (RS). The workshop was organized in cooperation of French Ministry of Ecological and Inclusive Transition, the International Office for Water (IOWater), United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) and the International Sava River Basin Commission (ISRBC).
Main topics of the workshop were:
- Climate change adaptation activities of the ISRBC, UNECE, IOWater and International Commission for protection of Danube River (ICPDR),
- Climate change adaptation activities at the Sava riparian countries’ level (Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia and Montenegro);
- Draft of the Outline of the Climate Adaptation Strategy and basin-wide priority measures for the Sava River Basin;
- Group discussion on climate change scenarios, impacts and adaptation measures.